This weekend I’ll post my blog/review about our stay in Turkey. I thought I’d give you a little glimpse into what I read, listened to,… while lounging by the pool.
I always need music in my life, no matter what I’m doing but especially when I’m doing absolutely nothing! So my IPod was equipped with some new tunes to keep me company during this trip. I rediscovered some “old” tunes, here’s what I listened to the most:
- Silverchair: all albums from Frogstomp to Young Modern. These guys will always have a special place in my heart (or on my IPod) and I love the evolution in their music. They really grew up during the course of making all these albums and you can tell by listening. Great stuff from Down Under!
- Alanis Morissette – Jagged Little Pill: this was a new addition to my IPod, I didn’t even know we had this album… Of course this is nostalgia, it takes me back to my very early teens, it’s an iconic 90’s album and I really enjoyed revisiting that.
- Beyoncé: all albums. Because Beyoncé.
- The XX – XX: perfect lounge/chill music
- José Gonzalez – Veneer: same as The XX. Made for “poolside almost napping”.
I brought along some books, because laying by the pool is great, but I would go crazy without anything to read. I ended up reading my books (plus Angelina Jolie’s Elle: beautiful pictures…) and some my husband brought along:
- “Revenge Wears Prada” – Lauren Weisberger: What happened after The Devil Wears Prada? If you enjoyed the previous book (and movie: I adore Emily Blunt, by the way!) you will like this one as well. I would love another movie, but I don’t think that’s in the cards… I have also read (on previous vacations) Lauren Weisberger’s other books (not in the Devil Wears Prada-universe) and these are also fun to read. Perfect for holidays!
- “Amerika: een biografie van dromen en bedrog” – Bjorn Soenens: this is a Belgian journalist’s (USA expert of Belgian TV) view on life in the States: politics, economics,… A very interesting read if you’re somewhat interested in the USA.
- “I Am Pilgrim” – Terry Hayes: a thriller that I could not put down! I absolutely loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys suspense and some international intrigue. I’ve never read the Bourne books but I think this is along the same lines.
- “The Cuckoo’s Calling” – Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling): I haven’t finished this one yet (if I’d had one extra day in Turkey it would be finished!). It’s crime novel set in London and is written in J.K. Rowling’s beautiful style with amazing descriptions. I’m curious to find out what happens next, so I’ll have to finish soon.
The week before we left I did some last minute shopping at H&M because I didn’t have light summery dresses that can easily be thrown in a suitcase (no wrinkling!) and be worn casually by the pool or a little more dressed up at dinner. I was really pleased with what I bought and packed. I got this one in blue and a black/white/blue print and it’s awesome. Perfectly breezy and the zipper makes this so easy to put on over your bikini to go from pool to lunch. I also got a more casual cover up but I thought this was too casual and see through to wear at the restaurant so I used this one outside and the zipper dresses to go to the buffet. I traded in my flip flops for sandals and added some accessories and that way the zipper dresses were great for dinner at the restaurants.
I also got this blouse to add some much needed color in my wardrobe, I paired it with some navy Tommy Hilfiger trousers, similar to these but with a longer and wider leg, and my Ralph Lauren heels.
And last but certainly not least: bring plenty of products to protect your skin from the sun! Don’t just start the day with sunscreen, but keep applying throughout the day. Protect the skin you’re in!